Saturday, April 12, 2008

New Challenges

Yesterday I learned that mountain biking isn't so bad. Some of you remember my first mountain biking experience. It involved me going over my handle bars and, out of anger, tossing the new bike halfway across the woods into a tree. The trip taught me that mountain biking was a bad idea for me and maybe sticking to the road was a better idea. Well, after almost three years of doing the equivalent of dumb, topping out at 40 mph downhill on my roadbike, I decided to pick up mountain biking again.
My buddy Jason and I set out on a journey to Kalico Kitchen for breakfast, a quick trip to REI and then to the trails. Beautiful weather brought new life as I started behind Jason on a narrow trail that seemed enjoyable for an afternoon run but on a bike, dangerous. We went off jumps which I managed to get some air. Yes both of my tires were off the ground. Each time a little higher until I almost relived my prior experiences. That was enough, I had tackled the fear and actually excited to go again.

The best part of all this though was we were stuck without a car. You see, I drove and against my better judgement, knowing my truck needed some TLC, decided to drive it. Jason, knowing the truck wasn't going to make it offered to pay for my $4.25 breakfast to remove any guilt from himself. Sure enough noises were made from the engine and laughter filled the cab as we came to a halt right where we were going to start our bike ride. After the ride we had a buddy come and tow us home and then we fixed the Truck. Yeah, God is good. The truck breaks and instead of paying 100+ to fix it, I find guys that know how to do it for me. I wish I could say I did it but I just bought the parts. But if it happens again, I know how now.

Adventures...what is an adventure without friends?. I enjoy my friends. There isn't an adventure I have lived that didn't include someone to calm me down, change my perspective or enhance the moment. I'm thankful that I am liked by people that I enjoy being around. Thanks, if you are reading this you are probably one of the people I am talking about. I mean since you read this or maybe not

1 comment:

Joel said...

I got your back Scotty!