Saturday, April 17, 2010

For only $22 ...

So while I anxiously wait for my garden to produce an abundance of fresh veggies, I signed up with a co-op to get a weekly basket of fresh local organic produce. It will be interesting to see what i get each week as the season changes. I'm excited to try cooking with some new things like Swiss chard...


I was a bit disappointed at first when I went to pick up the basket this morning. Instead of the expected rustic heap of dirt-crusted (fresh out of the ground) produce, I got a nicely cleaned (some packaged) and organized collection that looked like I just shopped at an organic foods market. Plus bananas do not grow down here :)

But for the most part, I am pleased with the selection (that is mostly local): a bunch of Swiss chard, a large head of romaine, one avocado, one onion, two zucchini, a couple heads of broccoli, a bunch of carrots, a package of California shiitake mushrooms, two pieces of fresh ginger, a lb of California strawberries, and a variety of local citrus...oh and 5 bananas from Ecuador. I would say a least a $25-30 value from an Organic produce market, and I paid $22. I could have gone without the citrus...being that we currently have a backyard of tress full of ripe fruit... and the mushrooms. yikes! We are not mushroom fans... suggestions welcomed.

Until the next pick-up, K

3 comments:

molly said...

I had a recipe for Swiss Chard, but can't find it! I bet google will have an abundance, though : )
Surprised there isn't any kale... that I DO know a way to prepare.

Megan said...

Molly - how do you cook kale?

Katie - Washington Produce? We love them! And check out my other blog for some mushroom recipes. I make an awesome chicken chardonnay
http://www.newlywife.com/abundant-crop-recipe-chicken-chardonnay-with-mushrooms/
And then PW has great mushroom appetizers
http://www.newlywife.com/abundant-crop-recipe-stuffed-mushroom-appetizers/

molly said...

Kale chips:
-rinse kale and remove stems
-toss leaves with olive oil and coarse salt
-spread out in baking dish and put in hot oven (425? probably different in CA, but also doesn't really matter, just drying them out. Haven't burned any yet, but I'm sure it's possible!)
-bake approx. 20 mins, turning once until crispy.

thats it!