Saturday, August 21, 2010

Self Sufficiency at it's Finest...

It's always a surprise as the seasons change what we encounter in our backyard. Our most recent...fresh figs. Before this week the closest i've ever been to a fig was a Fig Newton. It was a challenge to know when to pick them and what to do with them. After I fought off the stupid birds that don't sing and just eat and crap all over them I managed to pick a couple pounds; and more on the way!
I'm sure before all is said and done we will have candied figs, frozen figs, baked figs, fig sauce, fig jelly, fig fights and of course our own homemade version of the Newtons themselves. I mean, we gotta try right?!First we dried them. I got a laugh out of this "love note" Kate left me one afternoon when I got home. She asked me to turn on the food dehydrator. She used one of my scratch pieces of paper from the hospital I am currently doing a rotation at. I had written "Enima" on the side of it. Haha. How many of you guys have gotten a love note from your wife/girlfriend that said that on it?!
While scrub shopping I managed to find this table for 5 bucks. Kate threw a coat of paint on it and I sanded it down a bit to give it that old look. Now I need to just build drawers for it. That's for another year.Today Katie "Pickled" cucumbers.
Kate's pickle jars.
The pickles won't be ready for about a day and should get better over time I guess as they soak up the dill and other flavors.
Next week Katie goes to Spokane and I will be left here in the 100+ temperatures. I'll update soon about my hospital rotation and i'm sure Kate will fill you in about her trip.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I have an amazing recipe for fig cake. If you email me, I will try to get it to you!