Saturday, January 1, 2011

Visitors from the North...

A nice visit from family is always welcome. With Christmas vacation amongst us and families enjoying the exchange of gifts and dinners together Katie and I got to celebrate with family this year. School breaks are nice but way too long. I become bored and eager to get going again. So bring on the visitors.Above, Katie, Kevin and Isaac and I stand in line for "Soarin' over California" at California Adventure Park. Below, Katie braved the front seat of Splash Mountain where the front always gets the most water. We went two days. The first, sun and warm temperatures brought the park to full capacity. It made for long lines and frustrated people. We ventured again Wednesday. Rain and wind but short lines made for a fuller day.
Our days were full and included a trip to Joshua Tree National Park. If you haven't already guessed based on previous posts, I take everyone here. It is becoming one of my favorite places to visit in Southern California.
Every time I visit it looks different. I know, it's the desert but wind, water and the elements make it an ever changing place. Below, Kevin snapped a shot of the many windmills just west of Palm Springs on our way to the park.
Kevin's panoramic stitch of Barker Dam.
It was chilly; four layers, a hat and hood.
I told Isaac he would love this place. He has an unbelievable imagination and he turned the rocks into a giant jungle gym and helped me discover new places in the park.
I love looking for different photographic shots. I would almost prefer having a close up lens than a panoramic lens when shooting here.

Aunt Teresa and the others enjoying the endless rocks on the Barker Dam hike.


Above, Kevin waves as he returns from his tight rope walk across the dam.
Sunsets make for nice pics and with the addition of clouds even better. Some think the Joshua Tree is ugly. I still can't quite figure them out myself.
Below, snow and clouds mix as the winds picked up on the mountain tops at sundown.

Tomorrow I start my second affiliation. I have mixed emotions and can't wait till March...the end of our season here in California!

No comments: