Sunday, June 22, 2008

Adventures and Challenges

This is Scott. You're only going to hear from me once a week. If there are more postings then they will most likely be from Katie. I just finished the most intense week of my whole life. I was in class from 8am-5pm Monday through thursday and friday I had two exams from 8am-Noon. At 5 I went home grabbed a 45min dinner and headed back to the lab or library until 1030-11pm. Luckily my grades reflected my study habits as I took home A's on both exams. This will set the tone for the rest of the summer quarter(seven weeks) and hopefully my time here. I now know that I can succeed at this level. The sacrifices are many and the most important one, Katie time, is handling things very well. She is totally supportive of me and my 50+ hour work weeks. I'll come home for a quick dinner and it will be ready for me when I get there.(Im sure this will change when she gets a job.) I feel absolutely no pressure from her. Luckily the weekends are mostly free.
A fellow classmate and his girlfriend, Katie and I went to Dodgers stadium yesterday and watched the Cleveland Indians play. Great game. C.C. Sabathia pitched for Cleveland and hit a homerun.(When a pitcher hits a homerun you've experienced something most people don't.) The tribe won 7-2 in 11 innings. It was good to see the park and get a win for the good guys.
We are starting to establish ourselves in the neighborhood. There are three mexican boys in the area that ride there scooters and bikes around the streets. They look about 10 years old. I was sweeping the driveway yesterday and they came up to me and asked me if we were moving in and my name. Do you remember the Taco Bell Dog? That's the accent. It's great. They've now claimed our driveway as it has great "jumps" at the end. We look out the kitchen window and there goes a chunky boy zipping by on a scooter from the garage to the end. Maybe they can teach me spanish.
It is hot here everyday. We went from winter in Spokane to Summer in Loma Linda. Friday was the hottest day I'd ever experienced...and it's only June. I saw 108F. Ever year I've been alive people, including me complain about the winters, down here they complain about the summers. It will be nice when it's a high of 70 on New Year's day and we're camping somewhere.
I think that's it. We are enjoying ourselves and the challenges that we face. It's fun to reach new levels, get through them and tackle greater ones. Thanks for everyones support. We are grateful for you. I've met people this week in my program that don't have what we have, no family or friends, just drive for success. We'll have to change that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott and Katie,
People are the same everywhere...complain about the cold, then it gets warm, complain about the heat, then it rains, complain about the rain, then we have drought, complain about the drought.........and on.........and on..........and on!!!!!!!!
I laugh at them - ha ha ha - get over it I says! Enjoy the day, it is NOT a dress rehearsal!
We've had our hot here already too...ask Aunt Mary Beth....I had to turn on my AC for her! I like the overhead fans with the open doors....oh well she's here for just two weeks.
Keep up the good work with the grades..proud of you!!

Love, Aunt Annie