Sunday, August 17, 2008

Finally! A job

It's official -- I have a job. Come September 2nd I think Loma Linda will start to feel more like home. oh! i'm so excited to start, to have a routine again, structure, income, and sanity. The position i will be starting is Administrative Assistant to the Women's Ministry Pastor at Trinity Evangelical Free Church--the church we're attending in Redlands, CA.

The process, however, for getting this job was quite an ordeal. I had heard about this position a few weeks before we even moved, but put it out of my mind mainly because I figured I'd find something before September (and we weren't sure if Trinity would become our home church). Things started to fall into place the beginning of July when Scott and I became pretty close with a family from the church whose daughter, Holly, is in Scott's class. Julie, Holly's mom, is the Secretary at Trinity brought up the position. I then became pretty excited about the opportunity and worked out the numbers (financially) to see if it would be possible to wait till September for a job... not really, but with extra loans and my family offering to fly me up north to Blaine (where i still am) and put me to work, it all started to make sense.

I sent my resume to the appropriate person and things began to fall into place. A couple other job interviews came up and i made it clear to Julie that i needed to know if i was even being considered for the position. She set me up to meet with the Administrative Director, then finally I met with the Women's Ministry Pastor. I felt good about my interviews (with encouragements from Julie), and i took off for Blaine, hoping to hear bout the position that next week. The week passed and come Friday i couldn't handle the anxiety any more! I emailed the Administrative Director trying to get some bit of information. (I had also received an email earlier that day about another opportunity that I might pursue).

It turned out that the Executive Pastor still wanted to meet with me (arg!). I told the Admin Director i could do a phone interview with him, otherwise it would have to wait until i get back from WA. Anyway, they ended up flying me home to Loma Linda for a few days to meet with the Ex. Pastor and they would let me know Monday. (i know... they flew me home, crazy! God is good!!) So, after a nice weekend with Scott and some friends, the Body Worlds 3 exhibit in LA, i returned to Blaine anxiously, but confidently, awaiting the offer. It came via e-mail :) saying "welcome aboard" and "call us when you return to work out the details."
3 months without a job while being prepared for only 1 month seems crazy, but somehow God provides. I'm amazed at how this time has passed!
Anyway... i had the opportunity to go with my parents and my aunt and uncle (Teresa and Shon) to the Lynden fair. Good memories come from that fair... and things are pretty much the same.
Here's the cow barn -- where i spent the first 8 summers of my life. My dad would bring his prized jerseys for showing. We would live at the fair for a week in our tiny trailer :)
Here's my aunt Teresa attempting to bite into a "moowich" -- as you can see, two large chocolate chip cookies with a nice hunk of ice cream between them :) there were 5 of us that shared this scrumptious, annual treat.
Another fair favorite is corn on the cob -- That's uncle Shon, flossing after his cob.

For some reason, i've always loved looking at the arts, crafts, food, produce and quilts at the fair... here's my favorite quilt: a beach scene with a Madrona tree -- like at my grandpa's beach :)

3 comments:

Brian and Cristina said...

Congratulations Katie and Scott!

Brian and Cristina said...

Congratulations Katie and Scott!

Anonymous said...

Also Congratulations Katie! I know the excitement of the prospect of a new job....almost like the first day of school! New clothes..........necessary!
Love, Aunt Annie