Friday, August 15, 2008

Blog Wars!!

My good friend Brian Foster decided to post a blog (on his blog, which you can see on the left hand column) on how wonderful his wife's cooking was. This couldn't have come at a better time considering Katie is out of town.(sarcasm.) So I decided to throw in some of my cooking skills to make myself feel better about what I'VE been eating these few weeks. Fresh pizza from Costco. This was my second attempt. And a good one. Pepperoni and cheese with a sprinkle of red pepper. Mmm. Beat that Brian!
Next, something I picked up since marriage has been the hard boiled egg. Simply put the eggs in water, boil, and let them cool down in the water. If you let them sit in the fridge for a few days they are easier to peel. Bet you didn't know that Brian. If our wives are such great cooks there is only one way to settle this. A cook off. Not between the ladies but between you and I. Next time I'm in town we will have the face off. Pick your food. But microwaves must be involved.
On a less serious note, the olympics are my achilles heel right now. I study till about 10 and then instead of going to bed I watch something insignificant like womens badminton. US vs. a country i've never heard of and have never even won a bronze. But still, i'm jumping up and down yelling, "go! go! Hit that ball...i mean mitton...birdie." Holy crap there's track on. That being said I wake up with rings around my eyes and running late. The good part is the last few nights I've been studying at Panera bread and Starbucks is right next door. I head in there a few minutes before they close to see some other P.T. students and the last few nights they've given me the pre-made sandwiches they didn't sell that day. That has been my breakfast and dinner up until they spoil.
School is good though. I love my muscle movement class. I seem to know more than I thought. I'm sure it's cause my background in fitness. My hardest class so far is World Religions. I really enjoy it. There is a ton of reading and discussion. Plus the tests are crazy hard. Learning about other faiths and hearing lectures from Hindu's, Latterday saints, and Muslims so far has given me a deeper understanding of what's out there. Plus, it's deepening my faith in scripture and Christ Himself because it's challenging me to check for Truth. People really get offensive when religion is the topic of discussion. I don't know why that assumption is made that conversion is the goal. Let me be straight up with you. I care about about what you believe but could care less if you believe it or not. What you invest your soul in is your decision but I enjoy learning about what you believe and why so I know what's out there. That being said, don't think I'm pressing my beliefs on you. It's your life and life after...believe what you want.
I have four more weeks of the 2nd summer quarter and then Kate and I get to somehow go make our way up to Spokane for a wedding that I wouldn't miss for anything. It really has been an uneventful few weeks. That's why you get pictures of eggs and pizza. Things should pick up when Katie gets back.
My aunt Mary Beth is in town this weekend- for a conference or something. It will be nice to see someone face to face that I love. It has been awhile. With all these new faces and awkward, forced friendships you don't have time to meet new people because all you do is literally study. Our house right now is a house. It is not a home. It's only a home when Katie is here. She puts fruit in the hanging basket and keeps the fridge stocked. The plants seem to do better when she's here too. I keep up with them but I think they know she's gone. Sometimes I talk to them saying while I water, "It's ok guys, she'll be back in a little while." Then they wither some more and I say, "Fine! You want your mother! See what it's like without water in this 106 degree heat!" Then I apologize. Imagine the neighbors. That being said I don't have much to show off when my aunt comes. The bathroom is clean. No pee on the seat. No Katie... I didn't just use water to clean the toilet! None the less, she'll come here with smiles. I do have one thing for her. When I was younger, for our birthdays, she would always give us one Hostess chocolate cupcake with a candle in it. She would sing. I will greet her with the same as today is and tomorrow we will celebrate her birthday.

2 comments:

Brian and Cristina said...

Scott...you had me laughing until tears came about the toilet cleaning comment to Katie...amazing..I knew we were buddies for a reason! About the cooking wars, bring it on brother! I have secret weapons. The food comments had me rolling too! You're great, keep up the hard work with school man!

Emily said...

that's really cute about the cupcake, scott. i'm sure aunt mary loved it.