Friday, August 22, 2008

Lots of fun stuff to do

I went to the symphony tonight. Alone. I took my Manual Muscle Testing notes to study, dinner and a headlamp. I've got a midterm on Monday yet i'm sure I was the only one studying on a Friday night. I left at the intermission though. I was there to study but the classical was the kind of classical I don't like. You know the kind in the movies where the young guy wears the white wig and tries to persuade the good looking woman to marry him while they are forced to dance at the ball. Yeah, not my kind. Too hip hop for me. I like the classical that involves blood or swords. Now that's good classical. The guys reading this are all like, "yeah...I know that kind." You know, Braveheart, Gladiator, Legends of the Fall, i guess lord of the rings. Good stuff.
This picture below is the side of our driveway. The plant on the right started growing a month or so ago. Every morning I got on my bike for school and had intentions of cutting it down. Now I think it looks like a type of grass. The neighbors weren't sure. They tried cutting it down. I found that out after I spent two hours collecting seed off of it and sowing them in the surrounding bare areas. Hopefully in a few weeks there will be grass weeds from that rock to well beyond the mature one on the other side. (im listening to the gladiator soundtrack right now) The grass weed curls up during the heat of the day and opens to a deep green in the evening and especially in the morning.
I also planted a bunch to the left of this tree. (between the rocks)

This is a picture from the middle of our backyard. There are still about 10 yards behind me. There is a deck and a shop connected to the garage. I hope to transplant some flowers to the back so Katie will sit back there with me. Right now there are too many little lizards and crickets. Sometimes I will sneak a peek of her watering the plants. She is so nervous 2 inch lizards are going to attack her or something.
Palm Springs. No...Seriously this is Palm Springs. I have yet to see what all the fuss is about. I've now been there 3 or 4 times and haven't seen the reason people vacation there.

A prickly pear. They're prickly.
This sign is too funny. This was taken about a mile in on the Barker Dam hike in Joshua Tree N.P. I got the same picture in January when I came out here for the interview at Loma Linda but the ground was atleast damp. It is well into the upper 90's everyday and rain just doesn't happen there often. They need a "no diving" sign too.
I don't remember the name of this area of the park and this picture doesn't do it justice. It was too hot to exit the car so we settled with the window down.
Three weeks down, three to go in the second half of summer quarter. I am doing well. I have really prided myself on my ability to adjust to the schedule and balance my studies. My confidence grows with each compliment and "A" that I receive. Yesterday I pointed out an error in the notes. My teacher said he has been teaching this for 13 years and no one has ever caught that error. He called me "very bright." I have to be. I am taking on lots of debt, responsibility and have a woman attached to me for life. It's not about me anymore. I had a student ask me why I study so hard. I told him to get married and then he would understand. When you have someone relying on you, things change. There are lots of motivations to keep me going but knowing Katie is proud of me and respects me is my ultimate motivation.
I think i'm going to do the L.A. marathon in March. I always vowed I wouldn't be the guy that WAS in shape and then disappears for a few years and returns with two more chins and an additional few pounds. School is time consuming and i'm noticing i'm not as healthy as a once was. So when the idea of a marathon was presented to me by a fellow health struggling student I jumped on it. I don't think I could look back on life and be ok with saying I didn't atleast try one. "Thank God for your health Scott." My bud Brian said that to me years ago. He prays for his and his families health daily. I am grateful to ride to school and do the things I can do. Thank you God. Anyway, it's in March and I don't have to worry about the weather down here so training should be convenient.
Katie returns tomorrow evening. Tomorrow starts OUR life down here together. God responds. May He be glorified.

2 comments:

Nancy and Danny said...

Scott, I seriously would NOT tell anyone you were related if I went to the Symphony and saw you studying with a headlamp while listening to the music...and eating???? Loved the pics. It will be great to have KT return, hope your plants survived!!
love ya, MOM

molly said...

You should totally do the marathon!

This may shock you, but I have started running recently. Me. Running. Even in the pouring rain (last night). I'm doing a 10K next week and seriously thinking about looking for some more races in the future. Although a marathon is out of my league at the moment, for the first time in my life I actually think it's feasible!

ps - I love all the pics you post