Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Back To The Basics

Monday afternoon I arrived in Spokane. I was picked up by a great friend, Dan Brossiot and he was quick to offer lunch. After lunch I was greeted with triscuits, a protien bar and Jason's wallet. Only those who know Jason can understand and find humor in his generosity.
Monday night was filled with the traditional Papa Murphy's pizza, Monday Night Football, and "Rock Band" a video game where we play the songs. I'm always the singer cause I have a great voice. NOT!Jason getting way to into it.

Tuesday we headed to the Idaho Panhandle. If you don't know this is one of the most beautiful places in the country and it's Spokane's backyard. This is the town of Wallace. The traffic light ahead was the last light in the west before they built the I-90 freeway. After this light heading east there weren't any until Minnesota or something. I love these old towns. They're so simple and everything is in walking distance. The median home price is around 180,000.Just outside of Wallace in between two mountains is a small dirt road. This road goes forever but we took it 20 miles in to a trailhead to start a mountain bike ride.

Beautiful is right. Katie and I miss these views down in Southern California. No people for miles. You know you are in the back country when you see more squirrells, lizards, snakes, and other wildlife than people. The Hiawatha trail is an old railroad bed that was converted into a bike trail.
Fall on the Hiawatha.There were roughly 7 tunnels and just as many bridges on the trail.


Jason going into a tunnel that was over a mile long. You are required to have a head lamp. Not only did he not have a head lamp but he did it shirtless. The temperature in the center was maybe low 40's. We had to go through twice because we choose to go out and back. Most people just go one way. The total trip was 28 miles.
Stretching.
I never get pictures of me so Nick agreed and has a photographers touch.
I caught Jason in the middle of a sneeze. Haha...
On the way back I had better light to work with. This tunnel lit up nicely.

I borrowed Dan's bike for the trek. It was just a little small and I felt the aches and pains last night. Jason had to run to the store at 3am for icy hot and advil.
We made it out before sunset.The scenery here is breath taking. It is too early to tell where we will live after school. The Northwest is a special place and we would definately consider coming back. I know that would make some people happy and others not so much.

Katie arrives in the morning. She will get here just in time for the wedding and festivities. I hope it's as refreshing for here as it is for me.

No comments: