Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving done right.

The Northwest is an intimidating place. To be so close to nature and it's elements is what makes it so appealing to me. The rawness of a snow storm, the bite in the air when the temperature flurts with single digits, the way the wind graces the tops of the coastal pines as if to remind you of their height; so many different aspects keep my mouth shut and my ears and eyes on alert with anticipation that something could happen.We arrived late. Ice, snow, and colder than I can remember temperatures welcomed us as if to say, "Welcome home!" Rain was in the forecast for Thanksgiving but for now, it felt more like coming home for Christmas.
There are always opportunities to capture photos in Birch Bay. It can make an average photographer look like he has potential. This trip didn't produce many pictures but I did document the weekend fairly well.

Above, Jay and I making our way down the steep slope to the beach.
Katie and Uncle Kevin working on the turkey.






Soon enough the snow was gone and we enjoyed warmer temperatures and some sun. No plans, just enjoying each others company. Another holiday down with memories to dwell on and encourage anticipation toward the next Northwest adventure.

1 comment:

Nancy and Danny said...

What a Beautiful way to spend the Holidays, with family and food!
I'm so glad you have both. I miss the Northwest. Even the biting cold is refreshing and reminds me of God's beauty in white!
Love you both. Watch your mail!
MOM