Saturday, October 22, 2011

MY time

Wednesdays are becoming a challenge. While Katie is at work I have the day off. It takes me all of an hour to get done with what I have to get done and then I find myself bored and struggling for stuff to do. So I walk. I exercise. I read articles on therapy. I read the Bible, other literature, or books on therapy. I was thinking yesterday; I should learn Spanish, or build a smoker out of a trash can, or plan out my next five years. But I don't. At least not all on Wednesdays. I get frequent stares from Leila when she hears "go" or "for a" or "walk." It doesn't even have to be a complete sentence. She basically does this (below). Sits on the loft and gets a birds eye view out all the windows just to make sure all is in order in the front yard.It's fall and the vacationers have gone home. The state park is all but empty of smells of fresh bacon, kids that just met riding bikes together and the silhouettes of kayakers 100 yards from shore. We've deserted the park too. Our adventures have taken to the fields.
Huge fields where farmers cut hay are separated by miles of skinny country roads unavailable to all except cyclists and walkers. We break from the roads and make our way through the fields. It's where the birds are. It's where the field mice play games with the dogs. It's were the coyotes roam at night and howel at dusk from pack to pack to let each other know we are there.
I don't take Jessie Owens at dusk for that very reason. He doesn't stand a chance against a coyote. I'm throwing this in for Bill and Colleen. Don't worry. He's quite smart and listening exceptionally well.
I don't hesitate to take Leila at dusk. She would enjoy an encounter with a coyote. When we walk sometimes I think about it. I almost, in a weird way, hope for a coyote to come at her. How cool would it be to get into a fight with a coyote. Maybe i'm weird. It's you, coyote and your dog fighting it out. No one else around to see it. I've been bit by plenty of dogs and let me tell you nothing hurts worse than a chihuahua.
Till then Jessie marks every blade of grass in the field and Leila is more concerned with clearing the fields of all wildlife except her and Jessie.
They run...fast.



Jessie knows how to work the camera.
I got a gopher.

Working together to get to something.



Jessie Owens trying the one ear up thing.
Most of you can't wait for the baby. Even more of you can't wait for the baby so I stop posting pictures of my dog. Haha. Until then this is what you get and what I do enjoy.

The baby is doing well. Katie is just over four months and getting her energy back. November 17th is our next doctor visit. It's the biggie- the twenty weeker which reveals the gender. We will find out. So put your guesses in now!

No comments: