Friday, July 18, 2008

From Riches to Rags

Sometimes, for me at least, the best situations in life are the ones where life absolutely sucks. It's all relative I guess. The vast majority of the world has it worse than Katie and I. But let me give you some examples. Katie is still jobless, bored and has regressed from playing solitare on the computer to using real cards. It's currently 85 degrees in our house because we don't want to spend money on A/C. Katie is considering a 3 week trip to Blaine, Wa because it is the only place to find a stinking job.(she'll look for one down here while she's in Wa...possibly) The worst...I have a small credit card debt. Not much, but enough to make me angry that I can't take care of it with savings.(which isn't much anymore, ha ha) I mismanaged my money for the first time in my life dang it. To qualify, I'm not looking for sympathy or help at all. So please don't. I just want to be real about our situation and life for what it is. More importantly, we knew it was going to be a bumpy few months and I am going to stand by statements I made before we left Spokane. We were excited to come down here and knew God was, and is, in control of the whole situation. That being said this is the perfect situation for Him to glorify Himself. Thats what I said and now we wait...and wait...and wait. The cool part will come when He responds and I get to share that with everyone. I say this with full confidence.
This is a picture of the campus church building. It's beautiful, especially at this time of night. I've decided I want to live my life like this picture below. It's an old church in Africa. I want to be a doctor and drive a 1972 Ford Pickup with rust on it to work. I want to pay off someone elses debt someday.(Maybe after mine) I want to provide and not expect a return. Katie is good at this. With my profession she will be a good partner to fulfill these desires.
School is going well though. That is an answer to prayer. That one had to be immediate otherwise we'd be back in Washington right now. I get a 92.8% on the written and a 95% on the lab practical. Man, it was hard this week. I studied so much but it was less intense. I got a Frisbee this week and managed to snag 5-6 students to throw in between the dense study sessions. My legs are sore which is good cause exercise is hard schedule in during anatomy. Katie joins us and has improved 1000% since I first threw with her a few years back.

Tomorrow we are going to the beach. Joel, Kaleb and Joels family are in town. It will be good to see them. Ill post pics soon.

2 comments:

Nancy and Danny said...

You, my son know what it's like to endure. I always said (well, I think this ones in the Bible) PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE. it's also a gift, when used wisely will reap many blessings as YOU already know. Remember, "Be still and know....."
love, MOM

Jeremy Koziol said...

Your talking my language, brother, for I too want to be the man that pays someone else’s debt off, drive my faithful pickup truck while being a professor of mathematics at some college/university, and spends God’s money in such a way that he can’t help but smile. I don’t want to live like everyone else, I want to live like what you were talking about. Do it brother, do it.