Sunday, July 6, 2008

The reason we celebrate

On Friday Katie and I went up to the San Bernardino National Forest. There are four National Forests in the area and this was our first visit. This was literally the only photo I took. The area isn't very attractive this time of year. It's hot and over populated. We actually ran into one of my classmates and his wife. We know like 10 people in southern cal and we run into them...funny. Friday evening we were invited to go to a 4th of July celebration with Holly (far right) and her family. Notice Tim (white shirt) in the pic. He was in an earlier posting at dinner with us. Him and Holly hooked up the first week of school and I called it. HA!! Her mom is the secretary of the church we're petty much set on going to. She loved Katie and is going to put in a good word for her for a ministry position that Katie is interested in. It is good to have some familiar faces at church. Plus they have a pool and said we can come over anytime.
Taking fireworks pictures is new to me and I wanted to try it out. I took 200 horrible ones and two good ones. The two best were my first two. Thats what I love about digital photography, you can take a bunch of pics and delete the bad ones.
Brian and Christina Foster: two of my Ohio friends. I got to know them individually before their marriage, be in their wedding and continue a friendship with them now, along with Katie. They are vacationing in Huntington Beach, Ca. and we met up with them at Christina's aunt's and uncle's house.
Smiles have been frequent. We are really enjoying our weekends and try to do something new on each and every one of them. It is a good break from my program. Aunt Mo and Uncle John have a pool and hot tub. We took advantage of it. We could tell they loved hosting people so we accepted there offer to crash in the spare bedroom in order to soak up every moment with our distant friends. I take every opportunity to promote the Buckeyes down here in So. Cal. Uncle John is a usc (uncapitalized) fan so I brought along my Buckeye gear to start a ruckus. We went frisbee golfing on Saturday morning. It started in California. This is the second oldest course in the U.S. I forgot how much fun it was.
Katie improved 300% from hole 1 to 18. I think she even got a few par's. She was definately the best looking one on the coarse. (no offense Brian)
I was told to visit this tavern in Newport Beach from some locals in Loma Linda. We went in the afternoon which made it more appealing. I guess it gets overwhelming at night. The neat part about this place was the atmosphere and it had 300 beers on tap.
The ladies talked the whole time but we managed to get them to play one game of shuffle board with us. Brian and I played pool as well.
Here's the selection.
Katie and Christina still talking... now at the pool.
It was a great 4th of July, full of activities and adventure. Though this was the case I had other thoughts at the forefront of my mind. To our servicemen who are currently oversees especially David, my brother. I had clenched teeth saturday night when the four of us walked downtown Huntington. Drunk rich kids celebrating a holiday they know nothing about. Sure one might argue i'm clueless about the holiday myself. But this year I celebrated with a loved one acting on the very reason we celebrate. I've always thought of the 4th as my favorite holiday but after being directly touched by it, I have a different reason for believing so.

1 comment:

Nancy and Danny said...

Thank You, Scott for celebrating this 4th with a real reason. Your brother really admires you and I hope he reads your blog when he gets a chance. Praying for a great job for Katie and continued success for you both in Loma Linda.
Love, MOM