Saturday, December 20, 2008

Men's Dinner

We had our men's dinner at our church. Originally, it was a breakfast but because there were so many guys that wanted to go we added a dinner. I enjoyed the event cause most of the people I know attended Friday. There were about 250 guys on Friday night and 400 right now (Saturday morning).
Katie asked me to go set up Friday morning. I thought it would be only a couple hours. I was there till 4pm! I can't believe only a couple of people put on these events. They looked exhausted and were so happy that I came to help out. Did you know that 100% of what gets done at churches in America is done by 10% of it's members? That's just disappointing.

All by myself I turned the lobby into a locker room and a pro shop. With what I had everyone thought it was great.
They opened with a drum line and then bagpipes. It was neat.This is Wally Armstrong. He was our speaker. He spoke on "the ultimate mulligan." He gave examples of his life on the golf course. Two that stuck with me were, "A man stands his tallest on his knees before God." and "Your not good enough to get that mad."

I was able to talk to him one-on-one for awhile. I named off courses I've played with my dad to see if there were any that I'd played that he hadn't. None. He loves Northeast Ohio and Firestone and talked to me like I played the tournament too. Bruce, the guy that put on the event, designed these metal sculptures. He found the top 12 golf courses in the country, duplicated their logo and sent them to a guy who laser cuts metal. Holly, his daughter, cleaned them up and did other stuff that made them look really good.

Pinehurst was one of the designs. It will be on it's way Dad and Cheryl. I didn't post it cause I want you to be surprised.
These were just a few of the caddies. From Left: Katie, Holly, Heidi, Sarah, Becca, and Katie Anne. Holly is in my class at Loma Linda and is our social vice president. Katie Anne, Becca, and Sara are the wives of my three new friends.I helped with this commentator stand.We had a few golf carts out front. This was one of them. When Bruce handed me the keys I had flash backs of being 16 again.

1 comment:

Brian and Cristina Foster said...

I was wondering where you got your blog title picture from then I noticed the first picture in your post...nice.