Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in the Desert

We headed up to Bishop, Ca. for Christmas this year. My bud Joel, who currently lives south of Bellingham, WA made the trip down to see his family and Katie and I. It is so pricey to go anywhere by plane for Christmas anymore. Plus, I think we have more fun with family in the warmer months...there is so much more to do.
We headed out on Christmas day to the Buttermilk mountains. This range, part of the Sierra mountains, separates Sequoia N.P. and Deathvalley N.P. Not to mention Yosemite is about an hour northwest of Bishop. We tied ropes to the hitch and tubed through backcountry roads.
Joel, Dr. Rich and I. Notice the goggle print on my hat. I kept forgetting to put my goggles on making for a nasty wind burn.
There is somthing about snow blanketing the desert that is absolutely beautiful.
Joel hanging from a burnt tree.
We hiked a short distance to a waterfall.Katie and I by a waterfall. We got there by stepping over part of the creek that was frozen. I don't want to make it more than it was but on the way back Katie cracked off part of the ice. Then Rich came back and started jumping. He was trying to break the rest of the ice so Joel and I would have a more difficult time getting across.Me, scott, tubing in the Buttermilks. I am not going down this hill but up it. I am being pulled behind a truck.Below, I am wiping out as my intertube hit a snow bank and I lost control. I did my best to avoid the sagebrush and rocks.The family we spent Christmas with.Christmas eve dinner.I lost a bet. Ohio State decided they weren't going to play against USC. I had to do the dishes. I'm still not sure if Joel felt sorry for me or if he was in on the bet too.They had a rec room. A little pin ball and foose (sp?) ball made for a competitive evening.We took a gondola up to Mamoth mountain. I didn't see any mamoths. It was nice to have a white Christmas but even better now as I look outside at the blue sky and warmer temperatures outside back here in Loma Linda.Joel made our trip home interesting as he tapped the breaks to see if it was icey. He screamed like a little girl as we slid into a snow bank. We really weren't in danger and the car was stuck just enough to need a push. Joel and I enjoying a hot beverage up at the ski lodge.The gondola ride.Bishop from a high point. Looking east

No comments: