Friday, December 5, 2008

Thoughts on a Successful Week

I left the house with gloves and hat on, bag on back and pedaled like crazy to warm up quick. I was determined to nail my lab practical. I didn't quite nail it but I passed.(it's pass/fail...and hard cause the teacher sits there and pierces you with evil eyes that make you forget all the answers you already know)
After that I headed to the gym. On my run, thoughts filled my mind with how blessed I was this week. Scripture says, "Commit your work to the Lord and you will succeed." I enjoy sharing this with you because just as I share the down and out times, I must share the mountaintop experiences as well.
I feel I do my part and God does His. This week I was bombarded with tests, both written and practical. I am happy to say I passed with flying colors on all of them. In fact, I took my therapeutic procedures practical early because my professor popped his head out the door and said they were ahead of schedule and I could go if I wanted. With a little coaxing from him that I was ready for it, I went.
I also got the results for my computer waiver exam. I took this two weeks ago to see if I could get out of taking the class next quarter. I passed. That's 3+ extra hours I can put towards other classes.
Last but not least, I got another job. Thank you Dan, Bill and E.J for the excellent references! It is at a state operated autistic school. Listen to this: the Doctor who hired me told me I was a great person for the position. I had to fill out this little scenario sheet explaining what I would do if I got slapped in the face by one of the kids. I guess I said the right stuff. I was blown away at what they are going to pay me. I wasn't expecting what they offered. I hesitated because I wanted them to understand school was my priority. Her Response was: "We are all educated here and know that if we put education first you will be better at what you do here in the clinic. Just let us know ahead of time when you can't make it." Are you kidding! Could this get any better!? Yes. It can. It is a 4 minute walk from my house.
At the end of my run a helicopter went over my head. The sound makes me shiver. I know it's going to the hospital with someone who is in desperate need of attention. What a rush. It's similar to stepping up to bat in the ninth inning or the moment before a 100 yard dash. Hmm...that would be fun to be a surgeon. I stop for a second and dwell on it while others jog past me..................Naaaa...
So, Kate and I have been blessed. What great experiences, challenges we are facing. Now we put the gloves on for one more round this next week and finish the first half of our first year down here in Loma Linda.

1 comment:

Brian and Cristina said...

Scott, congratulations on getting the job! What a cool reassurance that God is working all things out for us...giving us what's best.