Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thanks Isaac.

Since PT school started I've experienced more death than the rest of my years combined. Sometimes it seems as if school requires every drop of my life. I take my eyes away from my studies and I automatically feel as if I am failing. I get my marks and continue onto the next subject without any emotion. I wake, hug Katie, eat, listen to lectures, study what I just learned, put it on paper or demonstrate what I learned, get feedback in the form of a letter grade, eat, hug Katie, and go to bed. There have been moments since our arrival here in Loma Linda where I get a phone call, or read an email, or get a surprise on facebook...they are gone. No way. One minute they are here and the next minute gone. I no longer have the freedom to physically speak with them and interact with them. It's times like these that make studying difficult. I look at the pages but the mind wanders. I eventually surrender my thoughts, pick up my Bible and thank God for the opportunity to know the person I can no longer talk to.

One of my favorite Bible passages. Please read it.
' And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. He who was seated on the throne said, " I am making everything new!"' Revelation 21:3-5a

At the end of the day, I look at my beautiful wife and smile. Thank you God for another day where I get to lay my head down next to her. By your Grace I may have the chance to wake up to her the next day. But only if it's your Will. I love God and am grateful for the Hope I have in Christ. It makes the thought of death so easy. After all, it's gonna come sooner or later. Some say it's brainwashing. I'd like to think I've done my homework and wrestled with the tough questions and continue to. That's more than most can say. I love you all. You know this. When I talk about God to you I apologize if I seem pushy. Maybe i've made that mistake in the past. It's just a reminder to me when death reaches close to family or friends. I'm not claiming to be an expert just want discussion. You may be right.

Below is a picture of my roommates at Moody Northwest in Spokane, Wa. The gentleman in the white t-shirt next to me went home to be with the Lord on Wednesday. This photo was taken about the same time he was diagnosed with bone cancer.
Isaac Smith, February 12th, 1985- February 24th, 2010.I'm sorry if this post makes anyone sad or upset. Sometimes I blog for you to know what is going on in our lives, other times I do it for me.

2 comments:

Nancy and Danny said...

Scott, Please know that we are praying for Isaac's family and your loss of a friend. Where he is now there is no more pain and you will see him again! That's something else we are all thankful for.
Thank you for sharing these times with us and for being such a great inspiration for our spiritual walk daily!
I love you so much,
MOM

Lisa said...

Hello, Just bloghopping. Beautiful blog!

Be Well :)